Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Well Construction

Florida Department of Health in Volusia County Environmental Health

Is your well water well?

Most private wells are safe but some have contaminants that are bad for your health. You can see, taste and/or smell some contaminants such as iron and sulfur gas which aren't serious health threats. Bacteria, nitrates and arsenic are among the harmful contaminants that can make you sick. They can only be detected by lab tests.

Private well owners should test their water at least once a year. Routine water sampling and testing is simple and inexpensive, and can protect your family’s health. Call the Florida Department of Health in your county where environmental health specialists can help you:

All wells installed in Volusia County must have a permit, this includes Monitoring wells, Injection wells, Potable (drinking) wells or any other borings or holes placed into our aquifer as well as Abandonment of wells. The Florida Department of Health in Volusia County has been delegated by the St. Johns River Water Management District to issue permits in Volusia County for all wells that are to be installed or abandoned. There are areas in the county which require specialized or specific construction standards for wells such as, on the beach side of the County no wells over 2 inches in diameter are allowed due to salt water intrusion problems. On the west side of the County there are areas were pesticides were used that require extensive specific construction standards for wells. Further information on these areas can be obtained by calling our offices in your specific area of the county and talking to the water specialist in that office.

If your family gets drinking water from your own well, do you know if your water is safe to drink? What health risks could you and your family face? Where can you go for help or advice? The Environmental Protection Agency has a publication that can answer these questions and more.