Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Irrigation System Requirements

Florida Department of Health in Volusia County Environmental Health

Permit Requirements 

Property owners who wish to install, expand or substantially modify an irrigation system are required, in advance of such work, to obtain an irrigation permit from the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County. Irrigation installation requirements are described in the following county ordinances:

Landscape Irrigation Ordinance

Wells, Pumping Facilities & Irrigation Systems - Section 74-31 to 48 County Ordinance

We have developed an Irrigation Permitting Packet in order assist applicants. It includes the application form, a Contractor/Owner Irrigation Self Certification Checklist and a site plan template. Please call our office at 386-624-0843 for more information.

A summary of site specific requirements is as follows:

  1. Automatic irrigation controllers, when utilized, shall contain a functional rain sensor device, capable of being set to one minute run times, and battery backup capability to retain programming in the event of a power failure.

  2. A rain sensor placed on a stationary structure, free and clear of any overhead obstructions and above the height of the sprinkler coverage.

  3. Equipment with check valves used in low-lying areas to prevent low head drainage.

  4. Backflow prevention methods and other provisions prescribed in section 74-42.

  5. Irrigation design with the appropriate uniformity for the type of plant being grown and for the type of soil.

  6. Irrigation system equipment installed as designed.

  7. Irrigation zones divided according to: available flow rate, vegetated groupings (i.e., turf, shrubs, native plants, etc.), sprinkler types (i.e., sprinklers with matching precipitation rates) and soil characteristics.

  8. Spray heads and rotors not mixed in same zone.

  9. Distribution equipment in a given zone having matched precipitation rates.

  10. Application rates that avoid runoff and permit uniform water infiltration into the soil, considering land slope, soil hydraulic properties, vegetative ground cover and prevailing winds.

  11. A minimum separation of four inches between distribution equipment and pavement.

  12. A minimum separation of 12 inches between distribution equipment and buildings and other vertical structures.

  13. No direct spray onto walkways, buildings, roadways and drives.

  14. Lawn spray patterns providing head to head coverage.

  15. Water conveyance systems with a flow velocity of five feet per second or less.

  16. Pipelines designed to provide the system with the appropriate pressure required for maximum irrigation uniformity.

  17. Pressure regulating heads.

  18. A maintenance checklist provided to the property owner by the irrigation contractor accompanied by a recommended maintenance schedule, proper irrigation system settings according to season, recommendations for checking rain sensor device, filter cleaning recommendations and information on the current water restrictions.

Landscape Requirements 

  1. A high volume irrigation area shall not exceed 50 percent of the landscaped area. Low or medium volume irrigation areas may be utilized in lieu of any high volume irrigation area.

  2. A medium volume irrigation area shall not exceed 25 percent of the landscaped area. However, the landscaped area may contain up to 75 percent medium volume irrigation area, if no high volume irrigation area is utilized on site.

  3. A low volume irrigation area may be utilized for an entire landscaped area with the exception of native vegetation areas regulated by section 50-373(b)(4).

  4. In the alternative to (1), (2), and (3) above, if 25 percent of the pre-existing native vegetation is retained on site, the remaining 75 percent of the landscaped area may be a high volume irrigation area. For all pre-existing native vegetation retained on a parcel:

    • No supplemental water shall be applied to the native vegetation area.

    • Only hand pruning of native vegetation is allowed.

    • Mechanical mowing or clearing is prohibited.

License Requirements 

No person may install or repair an irrigation system in Volusia County unless they possess a valid irrigation certificate of competency from the Department. The following persons are exempted from having to possess a certificate of competency:

  • Licensed Florida Water Well Contractors and Florida State Certified Pluming Contractors.
  • Florida State Registered Plumbing Contractors.
  • Property owners who personally perform construction, maintenance or repairs on an irrigation system that serves his or her owner-occupied single family residence.