Skip Global navigation and goto content

It's a New Day in Public Health.

The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.

Skip MegaMenu and goto content

Food Permits

Florida Department of Health in Volusia County Environmental Health

Due to recent legislative changes the Florida Department of Health no longer works with food service facilities in hospitals, nursing homes, child care facilities, many group homes, and churches and other not-for-profit religious organizations. For information regarding child care facilities, please contact the Department of Children and Families. For information regarding group homes that serve persons with disabilities, please contact the Agency for Person with Disabilities. For information regarding hospitals and nursing homes, please contact the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do I need a food permit from your office?

You would need a food permit from the Health Department if you are:

  • A church advertising dinners to the public.
  • A fraternal or civic organization.
  • A bar with NO (or very limited) food service - just alcohol.
  • A child care facility that prepares food other than snacks.
  • A group care facility with a population 25 or above.
  • A movie theatre.

Top of Section

2. What permitting is needed for temporary food events?

If the vendor is a non profit organization, hosting the event on their own property, the Florida Department of Health would not require a permit, but require the vender to fill out a temporary food event form. This would include what kinds of foods will be served, where the food is purchased, what facilities will be provided that can safely store the food, such as hot boxes or refrigerators. For example, a church or a fraternal organization is having a Bar-BQ, then the event sponsors or venders are required to notify the health department not less than three days prior to the scheduled event. The only time the Florida Department Of Health is required to conduct an inspection of an event is when an alcoholic beverage license is required. If the event is more than three days in length, then the physical structure where the food preparation occurs shall be protected from the entrance of flying insects and other vermin. Any event where a business or organization is participating in a temporary event off of their property, the Department of Business and Professional Regulation must be notified, in which case a permit to operate may be required.

Top of Section